Wednesday 7 August 2013

Day 25: Bethel to Colesberg

I woke in the Bethel caravan park before sunrise.  This is what I saw.
Misty morning........ don''t see no sun.....

Happy to have slept well .... but misted out
I left the caravan park without paying.  Nobody was at the gate the night before nor the morning, so, who was I to look a gift (Bethal-born) horse in the mouth.
Bethel camp site

The morning was so cold and misty, I stopped a few times to defrost and wonder....... where's the sun??  I drove on, through the mistJohannesburg on the N17.  For hours the mist persisted. I saw another strange sign 9below).... there were no trees, no signs of owls...... but every 5km a sign said..... "owls for 5km???".  very strange, anyway.... onward chilly bones.

Eventually I got through the mist and made it to an area called the Karoo.  The N1 had been kind, but boring.  it was a straight road, a road for the brainless who just wanted to drive straight.  It's not adventurous, not exciting, but it gets you there quickly, and with the minimum vehicular damage.
Karoo water pump
In the Karoo I made it to a town called Colesberg.  Now...... I knew this town.  i had driven through here a few times in my short life.  The place had a nice name .... but it was misspelt.  The name was "Coldberg", not Colesberg.

So I knew right on where I wanted to go..... the Colesberg Lodge.

COLESBERG LODGE
I had stayed here before and knew the lodge.  It provided clean, neat, safe accommodation at a reasonable price.  I got a room (with twin beds), with secure parking and an en-suite bathroom for R315.  No tv, just a ceiling fan...... this probably meant more to people during summer months.  i was happy with just a warm bed and clean blankets, and a hot shower of course.
"Camping" at the Colesberg Lodge

No comments:

Post a Comment