Wednesday 7 August 2013

Day 23: Louis Trichardt to Kruger (Punda Maria gate) and on to Nelspruit

The Ultimate Guest House with its Ultimate Fireplace
This fireplace warmed me last night.  It was where I sat while on the w-fi internet service and before going to bed.  That was so cosy and warm.  Outside was chilly, but I slept well.
The pool at the Ultimate Guest House was so inviting, but, maybe during summer this might be better enjoyed....... so on I drove towards the Kruger Park.  I had agreed with myself that if the bike went normally, I would attempt to get into the Kruger Natioonal Park and attemopt to drive down the length of it.  Well, I drove to the Pundas Maria Gate but nope, I was not allowed in.  So I drove back a bit and headed south along the length of the Park (outside the gates).
Along the way to Nelspruit
This still felt like Africa, but with a South Africa twist, and the dusty little towns didn't stop coming.

Signs that I was in SA did appear though..... better farming, more fresh produce, better organised crops and animals, etc.
Banana Trees, South African farms
The sign warning of a Hippopotamus (spelling?) was exciting but of course they hide during the day due to their sensitive skins.... the hippos, not the tourists LOL.
The only hippo spotted (no, not the guy in the mirror, the guy on the sign above him)

My aim was to get to Nelspruit and to stay at the Funky Monkey Backpackers Lodge.  I had stayed here before and wanted to stay here again.  I knew this place would be awesome, so i wanted to see it again.
Along the way I drove along a pass known as the Long Tom Pass.


Long Tom Pass
Unfortunately I drove this pass at night but it was exciting all the same.  I knew I was high up and the views in the early evening were nice.  I reached the top after dark and this had been Steve's (the biker in Zimbabwe) advised route so I had to tryi it.
\

Eventually I reached the Funky Monkey Backpacker Lodge..... awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment