Wednesday 10 July 2013

Day 5: Francistown to Kasane (Botswana) at Zambezi River (border with Zambia)

06:00

Brrrr, I woke up in the Tati River Lodge camp site freezing, having tested my new tent, and sleeping bag. The tent was great, but the sleeping bag had been made by one of the 7 dwarfs... Wow, I could get in, but only to below my shoulders. So I slept with jeans, and a lined jacket on. All my soft clothes under me as a 'nest' since I had no mattress.

07:00
I had a great hot shower from which I did not want to get out. Man, the ablutions are excellent at this camp site. No surprise that I'm the only one camping.... The only one I tell you. But the night and morning were cold.

07:30
I pulled out my kovea multi fuel stove for the first time. I walked 100m to fire it up since I did not know what to expect, since it works with petrol.

Wow, after a huge flame, which turned blue, I was cooking with gas. Hot tea and warm Future Life porridge for me again, and I can see what the northern salt pans, and Zambian border has to offer.

Ready to cook

I traveled 97km. Filling up with 4liters. 38.38 Pula. 440km to border of Zambia.

On the way to  a place called Nata. I see a sign warning of elephants and think "I would love to see the day wild elephants cross the road in front of me... ...."

13:47 I just arrived in Nata. 187km done. Filling up. 6.52liters. 63.09 Pula @ Engen Garage.

14:16 I filled up and freshened up at Nata's Engen 1 Stop, complete with a Wimpy and some middle aged travellers eating burgers. I moved off and  headed north for Kasana. I have a 17:30 'appointment' with a ferry crossing to Zambia, if all goes well.

20:24 So. I drove the 280km into Kasana, but what a day.

I left Tati River Lodge much later than planned, packing, and re-packing took some time, but I think I have a winning formula now. My backpack is lighter and I only use 2 of the ropes I brought with me now. The traffic cop from yesterday was right, that lodge was fantastic, with super clean showers and I was the only camper. It was freezing cold at night though.

This post should be called 'animals, beware!!!!!' Here's why!!!


Yesterday the 1st traffic officer lady that stopped me told me I would see elephants on the road, but I thought she was crazy. After passing some 'veterinary infection control stops' I started wondering about the reason for them being there.

Well, the road was excellent well built, wide, new. I drove and drove, taking pictures of the warning signs on the way. They showed elephants and those jumping buck things. I just ignored it and hoped an elephant would cross the road when, all of. Sudden I look left and  there, in the bushes, 2 elephants, just eating stuff, wow. I took pics, drove on. A warthog was standing by the road but ran off. Every time I relaxed, the freaking animals appeared to the side of the road.  I was in awe.
Amazing!!  No fence between us, just some open space,  God's creation is amazing.

3 giraffe, 1duiker or something, 3 or 4 I don't even know what, with the white stripes in their side, more warthogs...... I was getting worried, because the signs said, 'don't stop, its dangerous' and on top of that I needed to stop for pics. I managed to get pics of elephants, 2 giraffe, and some wild buck stuff. Ritma (my wife) would know the names.
The road got bad. The good road ended, the dust from the trucks was hectic. After about 20km of eating dust and even sometimes not seeing the road but eventually it got better.

I got to the ferry at 18:00 but was too late, so booked into a fantastic lodge called Kwalape Safari Lodge. 65Pula to camp (1 person).  After checking in I drove the 8km to Kasana to get to a "Choppies food market". On the way back, the most amazing thing, an elephant crossed the road, in the lights of the car in front of me it was huge.....!!!! Wow, I was laughing all the way back.  No pics of course, the shock got to me and it happened so fast.  You will just have to trust me on this one, it was the best thing I had ever seen!

I pull into the campsite and everyone is checking out this biker guy, who unpacks his tent, unfolds his little camping chair, and just seems so prepared...... I just ignore them and go on preparing my bed, knowing, I will be freezing  again tonight...
Hmmm the sign had seemed like a joke, until......


The Botswana road going north

1 comment: