Wednesday 3 July 2013

The Bike

The bike I am riding is quite famous and popular as a dual sport motorcycle.  The BMW Dakar (F650GS) is a bike I have read so many reviews about before buying her.  I had 3 bikes on my shortlist before buying this bike about 18 months ago, the Yamaha XT660Z, the Kawasaki KLR650, or the BMW Dakar.

My final decision was of course the Dakkie, based on the fact that itš a proven bike with new enough technology (ABS, Heated Grips, Fuel Injection, Dual Spark, Heated Grips, etc) to make the ride more comfortable.

This will be the biggest test since having this, or any of my other bikes for that matter.

My first motorcycle was a Yamaha DT250 scrambler (about 20 years ago).  This bike basically ended up being a bush bike which was not street legal.

About 5 years ago I purchased a Yamaha XT500 after much research and yearning to get on 2 wheels again.

That was followed by a BMW Dakar (2002 model) which was later sold.

About 18months ago I managed to get the 2007 model I now drive.  She had 14000km on her clocks and to date I have clocked an additional 40000km so she is being well driven.

Now, I shall be testing whether this bike will perform according to my expectations.  I think yes.

1 comment:

  1. We really wish You a great adventure with lots of good people!

    ReplyDelete