Sunday 21 July 2013

Day 14: Tsavo West National Park (Heading East) to Mombasa- beach paradise

Day 14: Heading, east, goal, Mombasa.

Spotted on the way  (Tsavo West National Park)
Kenya is different to Tanzania, you could feel it. I was amazed at how I got used to a certain culture in 2 to 3 days. Well, this is the trip and I must adapt quickly. So, after making my way out of the park, in daylight, I spent another 50km or so on dirt ad finally hit beautiful tar. This will take me I Mombasa, Kenya. Estimated time of arrival, 14:00.

30km from Mombasa. 358.4 since last tank full. Now put in 9.48liters. 1000 Kenya shillings.
Probably about 300km now. It was too cloudy to see Kilimanjaro.

Day 14: Mombasa Beach Paradise

So, I had driven from my friends in the game reserve, headed for Mombasa. Since I'd never been there I did not know what to expect. First off, I was not impressed with Kenyan drivers, neither car, nor truck drivers. The 'highway' from Voi (paved) to Mombasa was a veritable (my new favorite word) battle ground. It was only 2 lanes, no road shoulder either. So, the 97% trucks and 3% cars get frustrated with slow movers, then they overtake. Now, where I come from overtaking is done carefully and with safety in mind. Not here. I literally pulled onto the gravel 5 times to avoid head-on collisions with mainly trucks who thought that overtaking over a distance of 1km is cool. Wow, I could not believe it.

Tuk Tuk taxis (Mombasa) Standing still for a change.
Mombasa: Traffic here is horrendous. Tuk-tuks, scooter taxis, mini-bus taxis, private taxis, crazy sedan drivers, wow. Chaos of the highest level. It was drive or get left behind. So I did, heading for Mombasa backpackers, which I could not find even after circling the area so many times. I was determined to find a place before sunset tonight.  So I stop outside a place an ask a guy. He says he doesn't know, but we are standing in front of a place I can ask.



Wow: Do I have to stay only one night?  (This place was so amazing, and very affordable.)

Mombasa night (my castle in paradise)
So, he calls the lady and she comes out and says 3500 Kenya shillings. I say its s bit high and say I will go to the other place. While I was still contemplating going, she comes out and says she chatted with her boss and I can stay for 2000 kenya Shillings (about 23 US$). I say ok, and go in with the bike. Wow! The place isa freaking mansion. Undercover parking as well, dark wood everywhere, even a balcony?!!!!! And, I was the only guest, for about R200???? Yessssssss

Mombasa: I must come back.

Having walked to the ATM with the gate guard and seen the one beach, I knew this place could be awesome. Beaches, resorts on te beach, warm water, and mansions to stay in. Wow, from sleeping in abject poverty last night, to absolute luxury tonight, unbelievable.
Mombasa Beach

Neil Eybers on Mombasa beach
The next day I drove southwards from Mombasa and was happy to use another local ferry service.  I shared the space with trucks, buses, mini vans, and hundreds of commuters carrying anything from coal, to huge bags, to who-knows-what.
Mombasa is an island- ferry crossing
Did I say traffic in Mombasa is horrendous?  I meant it, you need hair on your teeth to drive in this place, that reminds me, I gotta shave my teeth now.... ;-)
Some Mombasa traffic

No comments:

Post a Comment