Sunday 21 July 2013

Day 16: Bagamoyo to Mikumi (Tanzania)

Walking on the beach was great. The tide was out. But. During the night I had woken to the loudest electric sounding explosion ever!!! I thought it was a dream/nightmare or the invasion of aliens. Truly, it was that loud,and somehow, with my eyes closed, sleeping, I had seen a bright flash. Weird.

This morning I tried chatting with some women collecting clams or something on the beach, mainly because I had take pictures of them clamming and they seemed to be complaining (in Swahili). Eventually I made them laugh by trying Swahili, helping them collect, and not taking any more pics.
These Bagamoyo beach babes were so sensitive

Bagamoyo beach on the low tide
 The beach is great. The weather awesome. But my family's not here, so, I will leave soon (hopefully by 10am).

Bagamoyo vegetation
Dhows are sailing, the few people on the beach relaxing, but me, in itching to drive south. Luckily its Sunday so I hope for very little traffic in Dar. I don't plan to stay there tonight. I want to head inland for Iringa again, or close as possible.

When I got back to my tent I struck up a conversation with my neighboring campers in their Landcruiser.
Astrid and John's Landcruiser camp site
They were South African as well, and had been spending time in Tanzania (3 months).  They were awesome and invited me to lunch, I could not resist (but there went my plans to leave early), and anyway, what was the rush?  Their potjie (little pot) food was so tasty, I was licking my fingers in delight.  It was the best food I had tasted in weeks. Eventually I managed to extract myself from their company and from their tasty food, and hit the road.

18:00 I just drove into Mikumi National Park, Tanzania. After 500m I saw 4 giraffe on the left. The sun was just setting. 5km further I saw a herd of impala. Wow! Accommodation is a it expensive for me here inside the park,  50 USD for camping, AND they expect you to book in advance? So drove 20km further to Mikumi village where there was cheaper accommodation.
''1man1bike1adventure" and 1amazing view after another

Mikumi National Park

This was a remarkable place. I hadn't even gone on a safari and I had seen animals, awesome I booked into a camp site owned by a Swiss guy. The place had an awesome shower for the campers. I was one of 2 tents. I set up under a tree, on a pile of leaves, great natural mattress by the way. Later the other camper came over and introduced himself. Daniel was his name. We had camped together before, at 'the old farmhouse'. Wow. What a small world out here. You tend to meet very interesting people.Constantine was one of them. He was interested in my journey since he also rides a motorcycle, and lives here in Tanzania, running a trucking business kept him going.
Camping in Mikumi "Village" (the pile of leaves made sleeping very comfortable LOL)

Lying on the hammock (earlier pic) I watched the moon through the branches
Anyway, the place was quiet, no music, just a hug screen TV showing the Tour De France. I realized I have not seen TV in a while.

I ordered a great traditional meal which I could barely finish (stiff porridge, with vegetables).

15:25 Fuel: I put in 20 000 Tanzania shillings (9 liters), after 256km traveled since last fuel stop. Have done an additional 208km now. Total so far today about 360km. Onward to Malawi.

No comments:

Post a Comment