Wednesday 3 July 2013

Trip Preparation

It's 2 days before take-off and my mind is racing with questions like, "Have I remembered everything? Is the bike ready? Am I ready? Are my papers in order?  Should I make more copies of my documents?  What can I expect on the road?.....etc

My wife and our sons have gone off to visit her parents for a month, and she has insisted that I fulfill something I have been dreaming of for decades, travelling through Africa, by motorcycle...... solo.

Now, some may say, 1 month is not enough to see Africa.  I do agree, but at this stage I have been able to secure this amount of time in "leave days" from work.  So now, I am almost ready.

The basic paperwork, passport (* 2 actually, since the older one is almost full), vaccinations, and bike papers, are basically in order.  I must just package these for travel purposes and my biggest concern, border crossings.

So, where to you ask?

Well, my initial idea was to travel up north from Cape Town to Riga, Latvia, which I have visited before, but, with the limited time, I am going to travel northwards for 2 weeks (yes, through Africa on it's east coast), and see how far I get.  Seems crazy I know, but travel is travel, and I expect it will be an amazing experience whichever itinerary I have.

Of course, this is quite a selfish trip, considering the fact that I have an amazing wife and 2 wonderful sons (5 and 7 years of age).  However, sometimes in life, dreams must be made tangible, or they might just remain that........ dreams.

I shall attempt to document as much as possible during this trip and hopefully keep a diary for those interested in reading about my experiences........

No comments:

Post a Comment