Sunday 7 July 2013

Day 1: Last Preps & GO!!!

So. Day 1 of my trip into Africa came and went. Before I go there though, it may be helpful to go to Day 0, which was meant to be my departure date.

Day 0:
I have been running around like a crazy guy. Its Friday 5 July, the 1st day of my time off from work. I had planned to leave today, since I wanted to maximise the 18 comma something days I had saved up over 2 years or so for this trip.

Of course, I've wanted to do this trip for almost 2 decades, or rather, a more leisurely version, with cruising round the African continent at a leisurely pace being the intention. However, life happened, and the trip did not.

Ooops, I'm off the point, back to Day 0. It went something like this.

08:45 Meet the journalist from the District Mail (our local paper) for photos for the newspaper.
09:15 Meet Noel Visser, our local metal worker, to fit the pannier brackets.
12:30 buy wires, fuses, spare bulbs, at motor spares shop, for finishing the usb charger socket.
13:00 get something to eat.
13:45 get bolts, brackets, handles to install panniers boxes.
Oh, buy pannier boxes, actually, plastic auxiliary battery boxes from plastics for Africa.
Anyway, after much bolting,connecting, an wiring, everything was put together by 5am. After 2hrs sleep my parent came round to say goodbye but I needed an international driving permit,some more bolts, etc. Which took half the day. I eventually managed to pack and leave by 14:00.

Ride report:
The bike handles well but is shaking her booty in the wind like a woman doing the twist. The wind out from Somerset West (my home town) was gale force strong all the way through the Huguenot tunnel.  It was coming in from the left side and was very hectic. It seemed like the wind was trying to blow me to the centre of the road. .....

I covered 170km then filled up at Touws River. Another 130Km to Laingsburg and it was 18:00.

I checked out a place called Haremba Lodge which was full but the friendly guy at reception phoned ahead and organised me a bed at "Die Kliphuis". Its in the middle of nowhere, and freezing old, but the beds are clean, and the water hot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment