Wednesday 31 July 2013

Day 20: Mozambique (Ulongwe) to Zimbabwe (Mutoko area)

Man, I am so confused about which day it is. If this is day 20, what happened to the others?

Anyway, I woke early, before 5am. I thought the sun was rising, but it was the light outside my door in the passage.

I walked to the nearby ATM but it was swithed off? Now what. The reception guy (who speaks practically no English) says, '8 o'clock'.

Once again, I am desperate to find a visa powered ATM that works. Hope this town has one. Also, I really need get a message to my wife, whom I have not spoken with for days.

At 8 o'clock I walk to the ATM with the young guy (Fernando). A line of people has grown from 4 earlier to about 30. The ATM was out of cash and they needed to wait for it to be reloaded.

I couldn't get money over the counter and the ATM asked me for 6 digits for some reason, other people were only asked for 4?

Well, after much delay and discussion, the guys at the rest house let me go (I was 60 Mozambique Meticas short (about 2us$).

I drove to. Big town called Tete where I knew an ATM tat worked waited. Luckily I had filled up before entering Mozambique.

At the ATM I met 2 south Africans who were doing missionary work for a month.
Just before crossing Tete's bridge

The bridge over the Zambezi (Tete, Mozambique)  (I took this pic while driving, after taking the phone from my pocket, unlocking the phone using my secret code with one hand, then aiming, and shooting........ i was pretty impressed with myself LOL .... )
We chatted briefly and parted ways. Shortly after getting some cash I crossed the Zambezi river, for the second time on this trip, but this time on a brand new bridge, one of 2 being built by mozambique.
The brdge over the Zambezin at Tete (after crossing)
Off I went to the border. The road was good. People by the side of the road were crushing stone by hammer (or some hand implement).
Taken by a passer-by, what a friendly guy.  I used all 10 Portuegese words I knew on him.... and he loved it
On the way I was glad to see many more baobab trees, they really are amazing looking.
I quickly learnt what this sign meant .....

The road was good until, it was not anymore. Potholes linked by bits of tar occurred randomly. It tool a lot of focus driving this road, and sharing with the many trucks that were also doing this route.
After Tete (Mozambican deviation road!!)

On the way I stopped at a village to take pics. 2 guys appear from nowhere. One asks for a lift, I say ok. So off we go. After 25km we get to the border and he asks me for 2$ for showing me the way!!?!! What a crazy, I told him he owes me 2$ instead. I drove off to Mozambique immigration and customs to get my papers sorted.

Baobab in Mozambique
After making friends with the Mozambican officials, who walked me out the door and came to look at my bike, as well as calling a foreign exchange "consultant" to help me change money from Malawian Kwachas to Mozambican Meticas.  While changing they kinda scolded the guy for trying to cheat me out of a few Meticas, and he kindly gave me the balance. What kind officials, with a smile and a wave we parted ways.

ZIMBABWE INTRODUCTION
On the Zimbabwe side of the border the officials were kinda serious, until the one made conversation with me about my interesting trip.  Payments were made at a well-marked counter (I think it said Zimbabwe Revenue Authority) and signs spoke against bribery.

Zim seemed organised and hard at work making a good international impression.  I was quite impressed, considering all the bad we read anbout the place in the news in South Africa.

After tyrying to leave the border area gate innto Zim, the gate guard lady says the Interpol Police officers want to see me.  I drove back the 20m or so and introduced myself.  They asked for the passport, and some basic questions.  They said I should bring police clearance next time.  I am still not sure if its for me or the bike.  I was grateful I didn't have to unpack the bike panniers since it was late and getting to sunset, about 17:00).  They kindly greeted me and waved me on.

This was the only border I had seen Interpol at.  Zim was definitely doing good work..... but I was not criminally intentioned and got through relatively easily.........

ZIMBABWE NIGHT 1
I reached a lodge called Nyamakwere, and pulled in.

The entrance to the lounge / bar / reception area was very nice.  Locals and a few guests mingled at the bar quietly, watching the sports channel and the eNews Channel.

I found out that they had camping and booked in.

Just before departure from Nyamakwere Lodge 
Yes...... I was the only camper once again ;-)


No comments:

Post a Comment