Wednesday 7 August 2013

Day 22: From the Giraffe Rally to Beit Bridge (back to South Africa) and into the Limpopo Region

Driving from the Giraffe Rally was bitter-sweet.  These guys had been absolutely awesome.  The atmosphere had been great, and the weather just as good.  They had loaded some meat onto the spit braai and the day was gonna be nice (for those who ate meat of course).
On the bridge at the Giraffe Rally (check the next BikerSA magazine for an official pic)
The drive to Beit Bridge was sunny and warm.  The usual donkeys and cows occasionally came into view and tried to teach bikers about awareness ahead on the road.

I took a pic at a huge Baobab at the side of the road before getting to Beit Bridge, see pic below.  These trees continue to impress me with their amazing beauty.
Baobab in Zimbabwe
Eventually I get to beit Bridge and the Zim Border Town developed right before it.  The Zim officials were a bit, well, what's the word I am looking for?? shall we call it "un-energiuzed??"

NOTE:  When leaving Zimbabwe at Beit Bridge, do not, I repeat, DO NOT, get rid of all your money until you have paid the last-minute bridge-toll-fee.  This happened to me and I had to get back on my bike, drivew back to the Zim border town (about 1km) and draw cash for the fee, about 5US$.

Eventually I crossed to the South Africa side, but not before a ZImbabwean guy tried to get me to give him money for being alive.  I kindly told him that this attitude that tourists must give people money for just being present in this world must stop and that if we can get this right, Africa will be a much better, and more inviting place.

I then got on my bike and drove over the Beit Bridge.  Sorry, no pics of this bridge, but it really is a bridge, with lots of pedestrians walking over the pedestriuan part.

getting to the South African side was of course, one of the most disheartening experiences for me.  I had crossed many border during the last 3 weeks or so, but this was the worst.  perhaps it was the fact that I was South African and expected that, coming back to my home country I would be welcomed, and my passport stampoed before foreigners with dubious business plans, or that the sings saying "SA Passport Holders", actually meant what it said.  maybe it was the fact that my bike's side stand had collapsed, yes collapsed, just before crossing the bridge to SA soil.  (I have never in all my blog reading, and website trolling, read of something like this happening, but it truly happened to my bike).  I just pulled up at the Zim immigration office, and tried putting the bike on its stand..... and...... flop.  The bike went to lay down on its side like a giraffe goes to drink water.

Its side stand just went sideways and up, like a giraffe when it drinks water.  I was more surprised than upset, and found out that yes, I am actually strong enough to lift these (more than) 200kg on my own.

Driving into Musina, I had delusions that I would be happy to be ion SA soil, the land of my birth.  But no..... this place was attempting to chew rotten eggs and spit them at people.  Signs along the highway said "dangerous area, do not stop" and similar messages.

The fact that the bike was now stalling, surging, and generally behaving like a bucking bronco did not aid my return either.  But, "onward Christian soldiers" I went and tried to nurse the bike forward under 100km/h.I drove through the Verwoerd Tunnels (quite scenic) and was amazed at how it seemed squatters (informal traders) could set up shop on the most scenic spots along this route, but yes, this was still Africa after all.

THE ULTIMATE GUESTHOUSE
Eventually I reached the end of my rope, meaning I needed to check in somewhere, find internet access, contact a mechanic, and get an idea of how to fix my bike, or this trip may end in a ride back to Cape Town on the back of a truck or trailer. I found aplace called "The Ultimate Guesthouse" and though, hmmm, this must be good.

They only have 4 camp sites, but nice facilities, and the hottest shower I had experienced in weeks (yesssss!!).  I set up tent, ordered a plate of food, and got some internet wi-fi access.  Now was the time for me to find an answer to the bikes mentasl issues.  

Eventually I find people who had similar problems on the internet and they suggested side stand (electronic sidestand switch) problems.  Shorting the switch out was the solution.  I tried it, re-connected the loose wires for my USB charging plugs as well, and waited for the morning to test everything.
Yes yes.... a "real" model in the making.....


1 comment:

  1. Read our guide to the best solo bike adventure south Africa.Solo bike adventure South Africa The bike is a 2013 BMW F800GS–Look here and if you’re interested in a fully tested review in South Africa

    ReplyDelete