Wednesday 7 August 2013

Day 24: Nelspruit to Swaziland to Bethel (SA)

I drove from Nelspruit towards Swaziland which I wanted to enter via a route I had heard about many times, Piggs Peak.  So off I headed for a town called Barberton.  I drover through Barberton and up into the Lebomboberg (I think).
Barberton in the background

Barrberton to Bulembu

Barberton to Bulembu
Eventually I get to the SA side of the border.  I am the only one there.  This has been the most scenic, and most peaceful ride in SA far, and I hjad enjoyed it alot.  I had not expected this beauty and it amazed me.  Pictures only depict so much but this was 100 times nicer....... and......... best part????? No speeding busses, trucks, or cars, since I was practically the only vehicle going this way.  The road was very good as well.

...... until.......

I crossed into Swaziland.................
Swaziland (towards Piggs Peak)
 Now, the border crossing had been painless, smooth, and inviting.  But the road got exciting, at least from my point of view.  The tar road had been broken, potholed, and created technical riding.  For me that meant pothole dodging, and standing up on the footpegs.  This is always awesome since it gives you a better vantage point to see the road from, gives your butt a break, and ...... well...... its just fun :-)  I would recommend it for any rider.
Towards Piggs Peak, Swaziland
 Swaziland, despite these initial bad roads (well, some of us thoroughly enjoy these types of roads and would hate to ride them when they are properly tarred), seemed very calm.  I don't know how to explain this but, compared to the frenzied activity in Tanzania, the crazy drivers in Kenya, and the poverty in Malawi, but people here just drive better, are more patient, don't seem to be speeding, etc.

I was surprised, and calmed, and ready for more.  I think this is a definite one for the future bucket list.  i had seen this place once before, decades ago, but now, it seemed so much more matured and calm..... or was that a description of me?? LOL
Beware of hippos AND crocodiles!!!
There were still signs that there were issues here but, to my mind, this place did not deserve the bad publicity it got.  I admit, i was only there for half a day, still, first impressions are lasting and all that.  Isn't there poverty everywhere?  Don't developed countries have poor people living below the bread line?  Don't kings and queens deserve what presidents have?

I even pondered the King Mswati III (Swazi King) issue with taking a new queen to add to his household / harem, (call it what you want) every year or so.  Wouldn't this make people respect daughters more?  I thought that, if I knew my daughter could potentially become a/the queen of my country, shouldn't I cherish and look after her, lest she turn my entier neighborhood into a pumpkin once she's queen?

I digress, but you see, motorcyclists, when driving on these types of journeys are bound to have mannnny thoughts going through their heads.  This being just a little idea of what I had been thinking.  Anyway, it is of course a matter of opinion, but I have to say, Swaziland and Zimbabwe looked better than Tanzania and kenya..... AND Malawi combined.  So, use it, don't use it...... its just my opinion.  But seriously, I would drive here anytime,,.,,,, ANYTIME.  People are super patient, and don't speed, and roads are good as well (except going from Piggs peak to the border).   Well, the sign did say "Wecome", not "Goodbye", so naturally, they would not improve the road to the border, right? ;-)


Well, for my half day I then drove to Mbabane, which also looked and felt extremely well-managed and clean.  Of course you have your African feel and some informality, but, that's Africa.  This place had the best of all worlds in my opinion.

OUT OF SWAZILAND
I left Swaziland hearfheartedly, not tired, as I had expected.  It was truly a magnificent place.  I can see why it's called a Kingdom.  it was hard to get into (easy to defend against invasion no doubt).  It was mountainous, hilly, scenic, peaceful, and reasonably well developed.

Time was running out though, and I needed to move on.

The border crossing was smooth both sides, only, it was strange to have entered and exited (is that a word?) the same day.  i hope to be back someday.
Off I went, towards a town called Bethel.


No comments:

Post a Comment