Wednesday 31 July 2013

Day 18: Tukuyu (Tanzania) to the border town ((Kyela, Tanzania)) to Malawi

I could not make Malawi yesterday so I had to stay at the local place (Gaga California Lodge). Today the road was winding on through the mountain. It seemed the place was getting greener and greener. Banana and papaya trees in every garden, and what seemed like a tea plantation on either side of the road.

Eventually I got to the border town (Tanzanian side known as Kyela). Crossing was relatively easy. On the Malawi side of the border I got stuck for what seemed like hours. I couldn't get money from the ATM for some reason. So I tried and tried both ATM machines but nothing. I checked my balance at the internet point at the border post office and everything seemed fine finance wise.
 
The road between Tukuyu (Tanzania) and Kyela (bordering Malawi)
The second time I checked via internet the postmaster asked if he could borrow me the 2000Malawi kwacha. I was so sorry to have to do that but had no choice.  This man did this out of the kindness of his heart and I was amazed by his generosity.  

Eventually I could pay, get my Temporary Import Permit, and go.

Kaporo Banks

I stopped at the first little town with banks but could get nothing out if the ATM machines. By the third ATM I was worried and went into the bank. Th kind official had to buy airtime for his own cell phobe so we could call FNB in SA. They confirmed everything should be ok and I should try again. I then found a 4th ATM which worked. Shooh. I was free to move on towards my goal, Lake Malawi.

Lake Malawi (Nkhata Bay)

I drove onwards, having lost about 4hrs. My direction was South. Seeing the lake in the distance on my left was exciting.

I arrived at a town called Mzuzu just before sunset, but, this was Malawi, and it had its famous lake, which I wanted to sleep next to. So, off I went to Nkhata Bay, another 45km. After 19:00 I arrived there. I was the only guest at Blue Bay Star Backpackers Lodge. I chose to camp on the beach. Lucky or me the full moon was rising over the lake this night. Awesome. The lake is so large you cannot see the other side (camping was 1500 Malawi Kwacha).

My first view of Lake Malawi (and my first hearing of the greeting "Give me Money"

Wow, lake Malawi is so beautiful

Lake Malawi

The Scottish manager organized me some supper (1600 Malawi Kwacha) and I could watch the moon over Lake Malawi from the bar up on the hill. A ferry floated around like something out of a movie and moved off into deeper water. Magical I tell you. The moon was reflected in the clear water.

After chatting with the barman (who was named "King") we listened to some music and eventually I got to sleep quite early (before 22:00). And woke before sunrise.The sun rising over the lake was magical. Just what I had wanted.
My castle on the beach (Lake Malawi at sunrise) 
The deck at sunrise (Lake Malawi)

The view over Lake Malawi from the doorway of my "bedroom"

Spotted in the morning (Lake Malawi) fisherman

My ride, waiting for more adventure at the lake
I was headed south for Monkey Bay.






No comments:

Post a Comment