Wednesday 31 July 2013

Day 21 (evening): and Day 22 (morning) at the bike rally - "A Man from Mars"

THE GIRAFFE MOTORCYCLE RALLY


When I arrived at the bike rally I was so relieved to see the petrol for sale (as indicated by the friendly Zim officers at the toll booth.  Did I already tell you motorcycles don't pay toll fees in Zim while every other vehicle does?  I already loved this country for that fact.  In South Africa motorcycles pay the same fee as a car with a caravn behind it (now please go sit down and figure that one out).

There were lots of bikes. Probably 50, well, for me that's a lot. A huge bonfire, and a couple more fires, a bar, tents, people, music, and a cover charge (R230). I hadn't planned for that. I only had 14$ on me (remember in Zimbabwe they use a combination of us dollars and sa Rands).

Well, I promised to pay via internet if I could log on.

I eventually found Steve and his pillion wife and what a guy. Awesome couple of people, they are such nice peeps, they invite me to stay with their biking club in their hut/chalet, whatever....... Doesn't matter, because people, I had a soft, warm bed for the night awesome. They really are a great couple and are both happy I came, me too. They introduce me to the other bikers as the guy who is on a legendary trip...... So funny.

Am I a Man from Mars ??

Anyway , I left my already pitched tent and slept their in their club's quarters, very nice people. I chatted with them in the morning and that night. They all think highly about safety and do many rides together. Sounds quite good. I'm the only one who's never been to a rally? Right there...... I had the feeling .... You know.... The one where you think..... 'Hey, I must be a Martian???!???'.

Giraffe Rally at Todds (2013)


Giraffe Rally 2013 (I know, terrible pic)

Steve and his wife at the Giraffe Biker Rally 2013
The next morning everybody drove to an old bridge nearby and had a group photoe taken.  The sun was nice and warm and the company as well. 


No comments:

Post a Comment