Tuesday 16 July 2013

Day 10: Tanzania (Tunduma Border Town to Kisolanza)

The Old Farmhouse
I rolled through quite a few little towns and villages since leaving Tunduma. The speed limit ranged from 100+km/h to 50km/h in some little villages and right down to 30km/h in more dense ones. Its frustrating going from 100km/h to 30km/h but that's the Tanzanian traffic management system and quite frankly, its much safer as well.  People are very friendly wherever I have stopped but English language skills not as advanced as in Zambia and Botswana.

11:30 finally found Vodacom Mbeya. I need to get data activated so I can connect to the world.  I spoent some time getting a Tanzanian sim card, getting it registered, and then trying to move onwards.

14:18 I had a snack at a roadside stop after only 200km today. The traffic in the towns I have come through is hectic. I was thinking of one word describe it so here goes.
My lunch stop (Mbeya, Tanzania)
"Dusty-Chinese-designed-200cc-petol-fueled-apocalyptic-styled-drive-where-you-want-pepsi-inspired-madness"" there, the description for Tanzanian traffic in one word.
A light motor vehicle used for transporting anything possible (Tanzania)
15:05 filled up at Igawa Filling Station. 6.9 liters. 15 000 Tanzanian shillings = about R100?
Solar power is becoming very popular in Africa, for good reason.

Some of the roads under construction in Tanzania

A cousin of mine loves these guys...... they're so humble-looking
Tanzanians love it when you try and speak Swahili, so I am trying to make mental notes.

Swahili words learnt today:
Habari = how are you??
Nzuri = great
Jambo = hello
Karibu = welcome
Una Toka wapi = where are you from?
Asante = thank you

THE OLD FARMHOUSE: KISOLANZA
I checked into a place called the Old Farmhouse in an area called Kisolanza.  I rolled in just after sunset, as usual, and asked for a camp site.  When the manager (an Engliush guy named Archie) arrived, I had selected my campsite (after all, there was only 1 other tent in the entire camp site).

I asked if they rented bedding, they did not, but agreed to see what they could do. They managed to borrow me a duvet which I wrapped myself into that night.  

NOTE:  To the creepy crawly thingy that scared the living daylights out of me at 3am. That was not funny, creeping round outside people's tents in the middle of the night is not cool.
Kisolanza camp site

Hmmmm cooking with gas(oline) again :-)


Daily Routine
1: Check how far I can resonably get before dark.  Check how much charge is left in the Garmin, because I want it working for the last part of finding my sleeping place.
2: See what options the Tracks4Africa navigation software gives.
3: Check Garmin power levels. If low, charge while on the go, if high enough, its ok.
4: Select the most appealing sounding option and head there.
5: Now the fun part. Roll in, find what the prices are like and whether its reasonable. If camping is an option try and get bedding (since I am now 2 sleeping bags poorer).
6: Settle in (set up tent, try out bed, take basics depending on sleeping option from the bike).
With a setting sun my mind moves to the issue of accommodation again and the same 'old' routine for this trip.
7: Prepare a meal or get something if hungry. Write to my wife and do some blogging
8: Check maps, assess distances, points of interest (especially fuel or ATM stops) and program navigation system (GPS for the uninitiated).9: Get some rest. There's a new day of adventure waiting to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment