Wednesday 31 July 2013

Day 19: Into Mozambique

I had been driving to Monkey Bay (southern part of Lake Malawi) and I had re-fueled at Mzuzu.  The drive there was scenic and went over the Viphya mountains from Mkondowe.  I had driven slightly (inland) away from the Lake to get a refueling stop at Rumphi, which was a town catering to visitors to the Nyika National Park.
So many options, so little time ..... 

Later this day I left Malawi a bit flustered.  I had not been able to get cash from the ATM of the NBS that had given me money previously. That made me worry alot, because I did not think I had enough money to pay for the nights accommodation. I had been keeping ye tank full while cruising down the western shores of the Lake (Malawi).  I had such big plans for my camping this night on the Lake at Monkey Bay.
The view up in the Dedza Mountains about 2000m above sea level
So, unfortunately I had had Monkey Bay in sight but decided to say goodbye to Malawi and head for the border with Mozambique (Dedze). This would be the 6th country for this trip.  I could have stayed at the Lake a few weeks, but that was not the aim of this trip.  This trip was about "making this trip", not about seeing everything in each country, so on we went.

Before leaving, I tried the NBS ATM at the border town again, of course it worked. Anyway, my goal had been o cross into Mozambique, so I did.
Spotted in Ulongwe, Mozambique (I agree 100% with the message on this building....... "This World is not our Home" )
The border crossing was easy.

Arriving at the border officials desk strange. All of a sudden there was a totally new language.

After te formalities (no visa fee and no TIP fee) the officials came out to see the bike, chat, and help me with changing the last malawi kwacha I had. They were very kind, even making sure I got the right amount.

I drove through to a Village they said would be about 40km away (Ulongwe) and where I could find accommodation.

I got there, saw a sign, and turned off. Now, the reception guy did not speak English, nor did most people it seemed. This was Portuguese speaking territory.
My bike in the parking area

An open market near Pensau Mansur (Mozambique)

I was catapulted into a new culture, a new language, new world.

My room would cost me 700 Mozambique 'Dollars'. I'm not even sure what the currency is right now. All I know is, I have a room, a clean bed, and a safe place to park the bike. Unfortunately, I only have 640 with me (which I managed to get at the local border exchange guy I mentioned earlier.
My accommodation (Mozambique)
Tomorrow morning, I will head for Zimbabwe, in order to work my way south to SA. But first, I need to get money at a Mozambique ATM.


No comments:

Post a Comment